Tele-ophthalmology Centres (Vision Centres)
Vision Centres has been set up at block levels to provide eye-care to the patients at door-steps. These centres are linked with IGM Hospital to avail the consultation of Specialist Doctors. Around Four (4) lakhs patients have been screened across all the 40 Vision Centres in Eight (8) districts of the state. This project got National e-Governance Gold Award for 2009, e-India Award for 2010, Manthan Award South Asia 2010, Web Ratna Award, 2012 etc.
The inherent benefits of setting up the ICT enabled vision centres are:
- Affordable eye care option
- Early Diagnosis of eye ailment without having to visit the hospital
- Timely Management of the Ailments
- Health Education/Awareness creation at the village level
- Accountability and Maintenance of Eye Health Profile of the village.
- Escalation of secondary and tertiary care patients to the correct health care service providers enabling patients to take informed decisions based on their assessed eye ailments or requirements.
- Avoiding mislead decisions, loss of limited financial resources on wrong treatments and exploitation of commercially driven private medical facilities.
- These centres are boon to the people of Tripura as they have reduced their travel time and also the other associated costs; thus increasing the productivity and effectively contributing to the overall welfare of the State.